Monday, March 17, 2008

7 November: Ich bin Schwanger!

I took the pregnancy test first thing this morning. It’s Clear Blue Easy, which is this very hi-tech digital thing, battery and all. I can’t say that I was at all surprised when it said Schwanger. John was downstairs and I said, “Uh, I think maybe you should come up here.” It was quite unreal. I called Beth later in the day and told her I needed the name of her doctor. She offered to call and try to make an appointment for me because she thought it might be tough to get in without a referral. She ended up getting me an appointment for Friday, at the same time as her English high tea. I suppose that finding out if I am really pregnant is far more important than drinking tea and gabbing with the girls, right?

I passed on the good news to all of the parents and in-laws this evening. Actually, I told them that I had taken a pregnancy test and that “Ich bin schwanger,” but none of them got it. Then I said, “Well, it’s either schwanger or nicht schwanger, so what do you think it means?”

I know how many things can go wrong in the first few weeks and it is too early to know what is going to happen, but it’s hard not get excited!

No comments: