Thursday, January 31, 2008

12 September: I Did It!!!

Is it possible to feel completely exhilarated and be in excrutiating pain at the same time? Apparently, yes. I actually did it; I took a jazz class for the first time in…let’s see…about 10 years! I showed up early and told the girl at the front desk that I wanted to register for classes. She asked if I wanted to take a trial class and I said nope, I want to go ahead and sign up for the whole shebang. So I had to fill out a form that would deduct the fee (15 Euro per class or 60 Euro a month) directly from my bank account.

This class was a slightly younger crowd than yesterday’s. Marilena yelled at us quite a bit and I felt pretty self-conscious. After class I went up to her and asked her rather sheepishly if I would be okay. She explained that most of the other students are in a professional training program so she has to be tough on them, but she thought I would do fine. It was really, really hard but a heck of a lot of fun. I discovered that my body doesn’t work quite the same way it did 10 or 15 years ago. I have certainly lost a few brain cells because I kept mixing up right and left, doing things the way we used to do them at Zohar (which of course was different from what Marilena was showing us) and couldn’t even begin to memorize the steps in the combination. But a lot of the old moves started coming back to me almost instantaneously, so even though it’s going to be an uphill climb, there’s hope for me!

No comments: