Friday, February 1, 2008

24 September: The People You Meet

I’m happy to report that I am feeling better this morning. Apparently flooding my system with vitamins and minerals and zinc lozenges seemed to help. My sore throat is almost gone and now I’ve just got a stuffed-up nose. Evelyne knew immediately that I had a cold. She asked me over for a “quick coffee” and I was there until 10:30. She’s really angry about the world championship bike race that is coming to Stuttgart this week. They are going to close off all the entrances and exits to Botnang for various times over the next five days. Evelyne was talking to the people in the Burgermeister’s office (that’s like the town hall) and apparently they know that people are pissed off but no one is filing official complaints. They practically begged Evelyne to fill out a complaint form. I think I’ve figured out that the roads will reopen before I have to drive to my dance class on Wednesday. I don’t want to take the U-Bahn because it would probably take me an hour to get there!

I keep forgetting to mention that I’ve been seeing Tessie the long-haired dachshund with her elderly parents in the woods frequently now. I went nearly six months without seeing them so I’m really glad they are okay. I had a nice chat with them today about going back to Michigan.

As I was walking home along our street, a little old lady was shuffling along with one of those wheeled walkers. She was looking carefully at Cody so I slowed down as I went by. She said something to the effect of, “He’s a sweet dog, isn’t he?” and I said yes. Then she said, “What’s that thing around his face?” and I said, “It’s a halter. It’s more comfortable than a collar.” She looked a little confused and said, “What is it?” again. I said, “It’s a halter. Like a horse.” She said, “But he doesn’t bite?” and I said, “Oh no, he doesn’t bite, he’s very friendly.” She told him he was a very beautiful animal and I gave Cody a pat and said that he is my lieber Hund. She wished me a good evening and I said likewise. And people say Germans are aloof and unfriendly!

No comments: