Saturday, October 13, 2007

27 July: Grand Café Planie

This afternoon I met my friend Judy (the one whose wedding I attended back in May) for coffee at Grand Café Planie on Karlsplatz in downtown Stuttgart. I’d wanted to go back to this café ever since Stefanie and I had lunch there after our trip to the Baden-Württemberg museum in the Altes Schloss last spring. It's the closest I've found to a traditional French-style café in Stuttgart.

It was a glorious sunny day so Judy and I sat outside and looked at her honeymoon pictures from Hawaii. They went to all of my favorite places, including Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, and Chinaman’s Hat. She raved about the snorkeling at Hanauma Bay and I was pleased to hear that they now require everyone to watch an educational video about protecting the coral reefs before going in the water.

Café Planie is know for its awesome kuchen (cake) – they have a huge glass display case inside and you have to go in and figure out which cake you want, then order it from your server. We both had the Schokolade sahne (chocolate cream) torte, which was to die for!

No comments: